Wednesday 23 March 2011

Life Lessons League

Dear Diary

Today I am brainstorming for ideas about how to help our young people especially our Girls( please forgive my bias as a Mom of 2 girls their issues are up front and center with me). I was thinking about all the different sports and entertainment activities that are offered in school and the sex education and drivers ed and those other things and  then I thought who is teaching , coaching and mentoring our Girls about life?

Who is teaching them about how to cook nutritious meals, how to set a dinner table, simple flower arranging, how to set a budget, career choices, how to enrich their lives through music, theatre and the arts in general. How to throw a dinner party, host a luncheon, become active in the community, become an advocate for some cause they are passionate about. Who is introducing them to the wider world out there, exposing them to different cultures and world views, getting them interested in travelling so they can broaden their horizons. 

I know that a lot of what I am talking about is available in schools in  a sort of ad hoc  way, and a lot of Parents are already doing these things for their children and I applaud them for that. My focus is really on the Girls who do not have the benefit of parents and other adults in their lives to help them with these life lessons and who cannot benefit from it at school right now. Just we have basketball, volleyball and other sports leagues, what about an activity that brings all of these disparate things together in one programme that could be offered in schools and "taught" by parent volunteers?. It would be an opportunity to mentor and to become involved in the lives of the children and invest our time and talent into them.

I am going to put an Action Plan together and present it to my Daughters' school via the PTA. Still trying to push ahead with the Parenting Forum...will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment